Friday, April 01, 2005

Happy April Fool's Day!

April Fool's is quite popular among Chinese school children (and by extention, teachers).  I heard many stories of small pranks made yesterday.  But I pulled the best of them all. 

I only had one class that day.  The bell rings, and I walk in late in a hurried manner.  "Quiet class, we have a lot to do today" I barked.  "Take out a piece of paper, we have a test."  Now as I said, April Fool's day is popular here so some students may have suspected something.  But the trick of a good trick is to keep a straight face and keep going.  Before they could think I rattled off more curt directions.  Put your name on your paper, English and Chinese.  Number one to five.  Leon!  Get writing!  Ok class, this is an oral test, so write down what I say.  Number one, write down the current month, this month.  No talking!  Number two, right down the letters that I say.  F-O-O-L-S.  April Fools!!!

The class exploded the students were so surprised!  It took a good 30 seconds to quiet them down.  Then we watched an episode of the Simpsons as a treat.

Secondly, I sent out an email to all my expat friends in China saying I was going home to America.  Pretty obvious, you say?  Well I managed to trick at least three people, who emailed or telephoned me to express their condolences.  I thought about trying to trick you people back home, perhaps in this very blog.  But I guess I just didn't get around to it.

Oh, and I'm coming back home for Scav Hunt.

-The Wandering Norseman-

No comments: