Saturday, April 09, 2005

I would like to say of my own volition that my mother also reads this blog.  And that she's a wonderful and beautiful human being. 

Tonight there is a party to watch a TV show that a bunch of WorldTeachers are on.  Its a game show, kinda like supermarket sweep.  There are four pairs of people, each one Chinese and one foreigner.  The Chinese pantomime what they want, and the Wei guo ren have to go out and get the items.  Except the whole thing is rigged.  Everything in China is rigged.

My friend Micheal is 23 year old Chinese teacher.  He still lives with his parents (which is very common).  He got into a fight with his father about staying out late or I don't know what, and Michael stormed out and said he was moving.  His mother made the peace and now he's back.

Michelle and I switched classes for the week.  She teaches Junior 1, 12 and 13-year-olds.  Those buggers are cute, but I think I like my kids better.  To impress a Chinese kid you don't have to do anything.  I just walked in these classes and I got a standing ovation (seriously) just for existing.  If I say just one word in Chinese, they are blown away and applaud again.  Growing up in a country where everybody is the same ethnicity, has the same hair and skin color, that's gotta skew your perceptions of humanity later on in life.  I hope my presents here combats this a little.

-The Wandering Norseman

No comments: