Monday, April 11, 2005

A few days ago there was a mass of students signing a petition.  It was against Japan joining the UN security counsel.  Talking with some students they explained that above their normal hatred of the Japanese for their atrocities during WWII, that they were opposed because of the Japanese textbook which glossed over these atrocities.  Fair enough, I said.  Apparently there was a school meeting (the kind I'm not invited to) that got everybody riled up.  Many kids asked my opinion of Japan in class, but I stayed neutral or said "its complicated", which I think it is. 

I talked later with Michael and his hatred of Japan was all the  more scary for his age (he's 23).  I tried to understand but it seem to boil down to this- Japan is our enemy.  They attacked us in the past when we were weak, but now we are becoming strong and they will pay!

Then I read in the New York Times about demonstrations in Beijing, which doesn't surprise me one bit.  Forgive me from stepping out of my objective observer mode, but Far Eastern culture is fucked-up.  These people (Chinese, Japanese, Korean) have National and historical issues all tired up with face and pride and feels like it going to blow up BIG.  Nobody can admit mistakes, nobody can say sorry, nobody can forgive or forget.

They say their going to boycott Japanese goods.  If their nationalism can overcome their consumerism, Japan is screwed.

-The Wandering Norseman-

No comments: