SLICE OF LIFE
These are my favorite types of posts, where I just give an account of what I did for a day. Today is the halfway point here in Alaska so I thought it was a good time.
Friday, June 30th (redux)
7 AM, wake up to roommate opening his door to go and take a shower. I'm a light sleeper. I turn over and go back to sleep.
8 AM, wake up to cell-phone alarm. Time to face the day. My room is cold, and I am cocooned in large amounts of blankets. Reminds me of China.
I shower, and eat a hearty breakfast of Total Raisin Bran and OJ. I put on my new blue button up shirt (bright blue, not that lame pale blue color that is so popular these days) that I bought yesterday from JC Penny. Over this I put on a sweater. It's still cold in the mornings.
8:30, I jump on my bike and head down the coastal trail to work. It's a nice ride, much better than the traffic path I used to tread. But being by the water, it's colder.
8:50, arrive at work. I walk in and change into my suit, which I leave at work. I quickly check some emails before I am officially on the clock (I'm a little paranoid about stuff like that)
9 AM, start work. I'm working on an executive summery of a case dealing with some 4th Amendment search and seizure issues. I much love the research.
10ish, get a call from Rex. He was out for something or other, asks if I want to join him at Federal court for a sentencing hearing. I say hell yes (I've not yet been to federal court.)
10:40, Rex comes in and touches base with the office. We leave via car for the federal court (we usually walk as state court is across the street from our office)
11 AM, federal court. Rex does his thing by telling some jokes to the bailiffs, prosecutor, and clerk as we wait for the judge. The judge grants our motion to withdrawal our plea. We are happy.
11:40, Rex drops me off at the post office. I need to put postage and send all the judicial clerk applications I finished last night. There are a lot of them. The line is long and slow, most people allying for passports for some reason.
12:15, back at the office. I eat some lunch (Salomi, lettus, and tomato on wheat, and a banana) as I work on the executive summery. Interspersed throughout the day I talk with nervous clients who want to know what is happening on their case. For the most part I say nothing has changed since they called yesterday (or earlier this morning...)
1:55, I head over to court for two Trial Calls. I'm not in charge of these cases, but just putting in an appearance for Rex. I set trial out three weeks. while there I chit-chat with Adam, another defense attorney I've gotten to know. Nice fellow. He worked for Rex just after he got out of law school. We talk about the bar exam and state reciprocity. He's one of the fellows who encouraged me to apply for judicial clerkships.
2:30ish, head back to the office. The rest of the day I move from various tasks- pulling some cases the judge referred to this morning during the sentencing hearing and emailing it to the federal public defender (Rex seems real happy with the ruling, and wants to share the news), sitting in on a few conferences with Rex and some clients, and of course the executive summery.
3:30, Tank (the office's investigator) and I go to the Teriaki Box to pick up a late lunch. We talk about the TV show 'The Practice'. He loves it, and has lent me season one on DVD.
By the later half of the 4 o'clock hour I get restless (it is Friday, after all), and stop working to look at web comics and plan my evening. A few days ago I talked with the nanny of a friend of my former roommate, who is also in Anchorage for the summer. We and another friend of hers are going to hang out tonight. I find info on the Bear's tooth theater, which is a local restaurant/cinema of some repute.
5 PM, I bike home. Now the coastal trial has a neat little feature. Starting downtown is a tiny model of the sun with a fun scientific description. Then going down the coastal trail is a model and write up for each planet. The actual distance you travel from model to model will correlate to proportionally to the distance between the planets. They are spaced such that if you walk a standard speed (3 mph?) it will be as if you are going the speed of light. Each minute you will travel as far as light would travel in a minute. To get from the sun model to the earth model will take about 8 minutes, for example. To give you some idea, my home off the coastal trail is just beyond Saturn.
I like to stop at the little baseball field on my way home (just before Saturn). There is usually some little league game going on. I don't particularly like baseball, but it's fun to see kids.
5:30, home again (jiggity jigg). I don't eat as I will do so later at the cinema. I read my new book, "Free Speech for Me, but Not For Thee".
6:10, call from Molly. She and her friend Ashley are on their way over.
6:45, they arrive, we head out to the Bear Tooth. This place is more than Theater. It is first and foremost a restaurant. We see "Disturbia", which I generously describe as "Alfred Hitchcock's 'Rear Window' made for teenagers." Not all bad, but a disappointment.
9:30, home again (jiggity jog). Geo, my roommate is now home. He has a big ol' jug of beer for some reason, which he shares with me. We drink and watch 'The Practice' on DVD.
11 PM, head to bed, read more.
12 AM, go to sleep
-The Wandering Norseman-
4 comments:
Hiya
I thought you weren't continuing this blog after Sweden. But obviously that is incorrect. My grandparents asked me to show them a "blog" cause they "read about blogs all the time" so I showed them yours to demonstrate that some blogs are just public diaries. They thought it "looked very nice".
You might be interested to know that tomorrow I will be reporting to Queens County court to serve jury duty! I hope I am picked, but my boss at work hopes I am not. She is very upset about the whole thing. Le sigh.
The cold weather sounds nice (pr the experience of being bundled up against cold weather sounds nice). The weather's been really fantastic here in Chicago, and I am happy with it and that it is summer and sunny all the time, but I do enjoy winter chill. And I don't know how much of that I'll get this year, since I'm supposed to be in Mexico Jan-Mar.
Anyway, hello!
Man, I was reading your comment and I first thought Jan-Mar was maybe Spanish, then maybe some hip, po-mo phrase that I was unfamiliar with. Then I figured it out.
But now I think my second impulse was correct. I now declair that 'Jan-Mar' means the unpleasent part of winter after Christmas is over, which lingers on and on and the snow never melt and everything is grey and you just wish you were dead.
Get on the ground floor of the treand!
Jan-mar. Hmm. Well, I doubt the term as you define it will apply to my experience of January through March...since I'll be in Mexico...
Post a Comment