Saturday, June 16, 2007

ALMOST FAMOUS
This week we took on a high profile rape case. It seems a couple of early 20-something allegedly gang raped a girl in the park. One of them is our client. A camera crew came to the office when he turned himself in, and more cameras were at the jail house during his arraignment. Afterwards they interviewed my boss with his thoughts on the case. I was on TV two nights in a row, standing next to the boss as he gave his two cents to the camera. My boss is an expert dealing with the media (he's the most high profile criminal defense lawyer in Alaska) and it is fascinating watching him do his thing.

THE WAITING GAME
Spent a lot of time in court, most of that waiting. During arraignments and bail hearings, there will be a line of defense attorneys, all trying to get in and out as soon as possible. It's worse when your clients are in custody, because then you have to wait for them to come out somewhere on the carousel of prisoners they wheel through the courtroom throughout the afternoon. Two days last week I waited 2 hours in court to say about two minutes worth of speech. I was informed by my fellow council and the jail guards that those were particularly bad days. Next week I will carry a crossword puzzle in my briefs.
OH! speaking of, I had an epiphany this week when I say a lawyer pull his briefs out of a briefcase and finally connected the dots as to how those got their name.

ON THE HOMEFRONT
Sage has extended her stay in Homer until the end of the month because, amoung other reasons, she's "just used to having her own space". I can't help wonder whether to be offended that she is less than thrilled to return to living with me, happy because I get the place to myself for longer, or sad at my own hypocracy.

ALASKAN GADFLIES
I rented The Complete Works of Plato from the library. I plan to continue the project I started in China of reading all of Plato's dialogues and writing up a little summery of each. Does this mean I'm too bored?

-The Wandering Norseman-

No comments: