Wednesday, April 04, 2007

SHORTS
I love flying, and there's only one reason why- conversation. It doesn't happen too often, but when you get into a good conversation with a stranger its wonderful. I still think back fondly with a conversation I had with a Tunisian woman on the flight back from Germany (summer, 2000). She was a med student at the U of minnesota, but was thinking of dropping out or transfering because she didn't like America. Another time I sat net to this woman on a flight to Miami (spring, 2006) and she told me all about her kids and her theory on raising them. Wonderful conversations. It's too bad strangers don't have an opprotunity to talk more often. What's this have to do with Sweden? Nothing.

I heard a car horn honk the other day, and realised it was the first I'd heard in Sweden.

I spent forever cleaning my room today, in preporation for my mother. In class we read a study of how and when ordinary people lie in a given day. the study said that the average American lies about twice a day. The group that lied highest? College students, to their mothers.

I have secured an apartment in Alaska for the summer. I'm roomming withsomenody named Sage who recently got back from the peace corp. And I'm a law student. Think of all the zany misunderstandings and kooky situation that we'll get in.

Now that it is warm, there are many street musicians. All are Iranian, and most play the harpsicord.

If anybody (Mark Lazar) has any cool guitar tabs, you can send them to me and I will practice them on my uke (chords only, not fingerings).

-The Wandering Norseman-

7 comments:

Pambdelurion said...

See, this is another way in which we are very different people, you and I. I hate flying, mostly because I despise the feeling of being aloft in the air (and the whole folderol of checking in), but the prospective of some stranger conversing with me is just salt in the wound. I fear it and try to avoid it by making sure I am already nose-deep in a book before the people near me sit down. Happily, the last few flights I've been on have been full of people who could not or did not wish to speak English, so it was all good.

Embly said...

I've had some awesome in flight stranger talks...the way back from LA this winter, heading to Pittsburgh in december...
but really harpsichords? There are Iranian musicians with baroque keyboard instruments? In Italy and Germany I saw lots of Romas with accordians...

Sebastian said...

harpsichords, accordians...this is why you're the music chick and I try to stick to philosophy

Embly said...

we all have our strengths!

Anonymous said...

where in alaska will you be? and do you think that if i just show up, that:
1) i can crash at your place, and
2) that i could very easily get a job scaling fish?

Anonymous said...

oops. that previous comment was by me. ilina. of course.

Sebastian said...

Ilina (and anybody else)

1) yes
2) yes