this past week. My mother has come and gone. Let's go over the week systematically.
GOTHENBORG
After picking up my mom at the airport the first stop was Gothenborg. This visit had unfortunate timing, as it was cold and rainy/snowy plus it was Easter weekend so many things were closed. However, we still found many things to amuse ourselves. These include- canal boat tour, ship museum, and walking around. The crazy thing that happened was that I ran into a friend of mine from Uppsala, Jeanette (Germany). After Mom settled down for bed Jeantte, some other peopel from her hostel, and I went out to a Gothernborg Goth club. It was both allerterative and entertaining.
FAMILY
One day and two nights later, we head out for Värmlands (the provice, not the student nation). We are picked up at the train station by Bernt and Anna, Mom's 2nd cousin and his wife. I don't know how many of you have ever met distant relatives for the first time, but I recommend the experience. First things are a little stiff (made more so by the fact that both Bernt and Anna, and later people we met don't speak English all that well), but we we finally get relaxed and talking it's like, well like your family. We drove out to the old homested, where my great grandmother was born. We met other 2nd and 3rd cousins. I don't want to bore you with all the details of exactly who is who and how were all related. It makes me a little dizzy myself.
This farm house had been recently restored by the family. It was built in 1813. Not only that, but we could see the ruins of the old house, built long before that. Then we all had fika. I impressed all my old relatives by my minimal knowledge of the Swedish language. Stories of old family were told. When these started to run out we talked of our respective countires and comparied their custems. Among the things learned- the Swedes do not have an Easter Bunny but an Easter Rooster who hides eggs. At first this seems to makes more sense but then one recalls that Roosters don't lay eggs either. Oh well.
BACK IN UPPSALA
The next day I returned to Uppsala and Mom went on to Växjo (pronounced *ahem*, vah-
LAST LEG- STOCKHOLM
Finally, we want back to stockholm as the last leg of the trip. We stayed in a hotel inside a ship, which was pretty all-right. The location, however, was great, right in the middle of Gamla Stan (old town). My one previous trip to Stockhom was cold and left a bitter taste in my mouth. This weather during this trip was beautiful! And I have to say I am now in love with Stockholm. We must have walked over half the city. We say an old 17th century ship in the Vasa museum, went in the Royal Palace, and went to the Nobel Museum. Did you know that Winston Churchhill was an accomplished painter? But the best was the shopping in Gamla Stan. I only ended up buying one thing, an antique map of China from the 1700s. It was a bit pricey but I think worth it. Plus you know, me-China, there's a connection.
Now I am home. Time is so short here now, it is crazy. Three weeks! Lordy.
-The Wandering Norseman-
3 comments:
Gothenborg sounds like the ultimate Goth club location. I mean, "Gothenborg", there's nothing about that name that isn't scary as all get-out. You'd have to go to, like, "Skullheim" or "Corpsefield" (or Ice Creamville!) to get worse. Did the club live up to the toponymic expectations?
How did you like the Nobel Museum, it wasn't open when I was there. The best we could do is get a tour of Stockholm's city hall. I'd recommend seeing it.
Nobel Museum was small, but interesting. One weird thing of note was that in the museum cafe, many (or all?) of the chairs where actually signed by Nobel prize winners. It's like the hard rock cafe, but for nerds.
Post a Comment