Thursday, June 02, 2005

More and more people read this thing, so I'd better update. Word out to my Italian contingent.

If you get a chance I suggest you check out the multi-media article "Riding the Tiger" by Nick Kristof at www.nytimes.com. He really hits on what has been the most surprising thing for me in China, the incredible Nationalism of the Chinese people. These feelings include INCREDIBLE sensitivity to critisism of all aspects of China. I get asked all the time "Do I like China? Do I like Chinese food? Am I attracted to Chinese women?" I always respond very diplomatically; if I do otherwise (say I don't like Chinese food) people will be genuinely offended. Being as diplomatic as I can I still upset people. My teaching contract ends at the beginning of summer, and colleages and aquaintenses often ask if I will come back to China next year. When I answer truthfully, they aren't mad at me! but they look as if they have failed and feel bad about it. It's like China has the ego of a 5 year old.

My director told us recently about a foreigner who had a "10 commandments for dealing with foreigners" t-shirt. This shirt (I've seen it for sale in Yangshuo) is a bilingual shirt that has humorous commandments on what not to do with foreigners. For example "Don't use a foreigner just to practice English" or "Don't shout 'Hello' at foreigners." If you've been an ex-pat in China the shirt is hilarious. But apperently some guy last year got beat up by a bunch of Chinese ne'er-do-wells just for wearing it. Because it offended "the Chinese national pride".

This is my least favorite aspect of China.

My favorite aspect, to balance things out, is the total foreignness of the culture. I love just walking around the Nanfang streets and observing daily life, how truely different many things are. Even now my inner-philosopher reveals in the socialogical implications, and forces me to think hard about myself, how many things I take for granted. And when I can understand these differences and impliment this knowledge correctly (language, customs) it feels wonderful. Just today I stopped by the little convience store by the school. They invited me to sit down and the mom, grandma, and I had a little chat. It was about nothing complicated, and I didn't understand half of what they said, but it was great. I asked the grandma about all her grandchildren (11!) and where she was from. They asked about America. Then they gave me a free pack of gum.

Over dinner tonight, Michelle talked about how she wanted to stay abroad in different countries for the next seven years or so. Next year she will be in Ho Chi Min City. I couldn't imagine staying away for that long.

Next week I'm headed out to a fellow teacher's home village for a few days. I don't know quite what to expect, but I'm really looking forward to it.

-The Wandering Norseman-

No comments: