I went down to the river the other day and got a haircut. These old women bring a chair and a scissors and set up shop. Of course the best part is that they shave you with a straight razor. Some people might think it unwise to trust a shaky old women with no credentials to have a blade at their throat, but these people don't live in China (or quickly leave). There is a certain bond that grows with a person who has your life in their hands. As she shaved me she wanted to test her English, so she said a Chinese word and then the English. She would go "Liu...Green?" and I would say "Dui (correct)" and she would get all excited. Then she would say "Huang...orange?" and I would say "Yellow" and she would say "ah, yellow yellow" (they like to repeat words in China. I think its a linguistics thing based on their many homonyms.)
Now I'm on vacation in Kunming. The train ride was long. I just checked into the hotel and will go explore the city. I'll write again when interesting stuff happens.
-The Wandering Norseman-
No comments:
Post a Comment