Wednesday, November 17, 2004

Shanghai was a completely different China.  This sprawling metroplois dwarfed Changsha, which is as big as Chicago.  I stood in the middle of something-or-other square, and to all sides of me were skyscrapers.  Not boxed in around me, mind you.  I could see far and in every direction for as far as I could see was downtown.  And everything was so modern, so clean- a total contrast to what I am used to in Hunan.  Take the swankest neighborhood of any major city- Lincoln Park in Chicago, SoHo Manhatten.  You know how trendy they look with all the little details- decorative patterns in the brick-layed sidewalk, potted plants, unique architecture?  That was true of all I saw of Shanghai.  After much wandering I did find some alley ways with the family owned stores I was used to.  But even these were more upscale- having real glass doors instead of sliding metal garage doors.

 

However, what really seperated this China from where I lived was the Chinese reaction to me.  That is of course the lack of reaction.  Shanghai is teeming with foreigners, so that our presents of 27 more didn't even cause a second look by most residents.  It was really weird.  I know I've complained about the attention, but at the same time you come to expect it.  There were many times I forgot I was in China while in Shanghai.  On Saturday night we went to an Irish pub, and the only Chinese there were the innocuous wait staff.  The place was packed with Irish and Brits and Aussies, all watching Rugby for some reason.

 

The foreign teachers conference (the austensible reason for the trip) was surpisingly informative.  I learned many things both for leason ideas and classroom managment, and today I felt a sort of renewed enthusiasm for teaching.  Lets see how long that lasts.

 

It was really great seeing all everyone from WorldTeach.  The train ride over we took up half a sleeping car and we had a blast.  Running back and forth, playing brigde, those of us from the Yangshuo trip did a fashion show in our robes (everyone loved my bright yellow one).  Sunday afternoon we were free to roam the city.  I went with  some people to find the antiques market.  We got lost in the rain for many hours, and were very cold and wet when we finally found it.  But I was instantly revitalised.  I just love to haggle!  I didn't buy anything, but it was great fun.  I made the group stay much longer than I think they wanted to, and we were late to dinner.  Dinner was an expensive vegitarian resturant (by Chinese standards of course.  I usually pay 5-10 RMB for a good meal, this one was 50 RMB.  That's still only about $6 American, but I am totally out! of that mindset now.  I was agast at the price.)  Then out to the clubs.  I quickly went to the English bookstore in the morning but I didn't have enough time to look around.  I really like to take my time.  I'll have to do some traveling by myself during the winter so I can spend as much time as I want to browsing.  This reminds me of a problem I used to have as a kid.  My parents would drive me to the comic book store and I would look nice and slowly until they finally lost their patients, and had to make a rushed decision.  Oh what a glorious day when I got my drivers licence.  But I digress.

 

Shanghai food is noticably different than Hunan food.  Its much sweeter and less spicy, somewhat similar to American Chinese food in that respect.  There is much more order in Shanghai; people use lines, follow traffic law.  A few of us tried to cross in the middle of the street and were yelled at by a traffic cop.  Traffic cop, in China?  What's going on here?  Walking around we felt like we were in the hippest parts of Southern California.  Also, the people are much more trendy.  I didn't see one young or middle-aged person with bad or missing teeth.  We all seemed to agree that this would be a great place to live if we were to stay in China, but we were all glad to be living in the 'real' China for our first contact.

 

Its getting really cold here.  I broke out the scarf today, and regularly wear my gloves around school.  My apartment has only one little heater in my bedroom, which is fine for sleeping.  But when I leave my room in the morning, Bbbeeeerrr.  The beginning of my morning shower is very unpleasent.

 

Random Observations-

I bought a book in Shanghai about China, here are some things I found out.  I make about 10 times what the average Chinese makes, and I'm technecially a volunteer.  I know many foreigners (all, in fact) who make 2 or 3 time more than me.  Even with the population restrictions, 1 in 4 children born today are Chinese.  I heard a saying comparing China to America.  It was in relation to both the school system and the care of the elderly.  It goes 'in China childhood is hell but old age is a paradise, in America its just the opposite.'

 

-the ever wandering Norseman-

No comments: