I was never really sure how many people actually read this thing. But now that I'm back on instant messenger, everybody has been saying a word or two. I feel like Chrisitan Slater at the end of Pump up the Volume. Now, if only someone like Cheryl Pollak would try to track me down.
It feels very nice to talk with my many friends. It was pointed out to me that I haven't commented on my work in a while. Teaching is fine, but much the same. Some days are good- I really love seeing the look of genuine interest I see in some of the kids faces, lifts me right up. But on the other hand, there are an equal number of kids who don't care at all, and that really urkes me sometimes. And of course the language barrier is a real drag. All my precision tools of dealing with people have been reduced to the blunt object of yelling. I yell everyday, and that's annoying.
My language lessions are progressing. Now I have conversations with my tutor where I have to ask every other question "What does that mean?" I like the feeling.
On Saturday I went out with the people of my department to a sort of variety show. It seems the type of thing that might have been on vaudville. Lots of different things thrown at you, hoping some will stick. The show started with an auction of wall hangings, then comedy, music, acrobatics, music, drama, acrobatics, comedy, music, and ended with (I'm not kidding) a Chinese midget dressed as an offensive Japanese stereotype chasing after beautiful women in Kamonos. (The Chinese hate the Japanese, by the way.)
That oddest part was the drama, which was fine in and of itself. The play was of a abusive husbund who is about to get his commupits for his gambling, drinking, etc, but his wife prostrates herself over her husbund, saving him. Very touching and thought provoking, but what was weird was the audience reaction- they were laughing throughout the performence! I may be wrong, as I could understand any of the words, but I am fairly sure it was not a comedy. I did read somewhere right before I came to China that the Chinese often deal with emotionally awkward situations (like being told someone just died) by laughing. Perhaps this is a part of that.
I've found a powered milk that I like, but I only drink it hot. I found oatmeal, and I love it. Also, I have started cooking. Its not so bad, but I have yet to try anything complicated We 6 Zzers alternate cooking for each other every Friday. We went over to Juifang on the north side of Zz, and Max made fried noodles, which sound really hard and tasted very good. Soon it will be my turn to host, I'm a little worried.
Random observations- the idea that a person could travel from one country to another hassle free and at little to no cost is mind blowing to the Chinese. Everybody I've asked said they would love to visit American, some of them very passionetly so. But I would be surprised if even one of them got the chance. I make as much money as an actual Chinese English teacher who's been at Nanfang for multiple years. Plus I get free housing, and he has more hours. Tells you the state of things, economically. Come to think of it he may get free housing too (this whole area is owned by the Nanfang company), but still.
I'm now over a quarter done with my time here. It's really flown by fast. I feel like I just got here.
-the Wandering Norseman-
No comments:
Post a Comment