Monday, November 29, 2004

My program coordinator came down to visit our school finally.  I think he must have been doing things alphabetically.  He watched one of my classes and gave me feedback- a few pointers here and there, but mostly I passed with flying colors.  I particularly liked when he said "its obvious that the students respect your authority."  Rock on.

Of course when any important guest arrives it means more formal dinners!  I went to two with our school, and one with Er Zhong (where Todd and Melissa are).  The latter was double fancy because Todd's parents were visiting from Hawaii.  It had gold spoons, gold tipped chop sticks, and all kinds of exotic food- deer, pigeon, snake.  As I've said before, those dinners really take a lot out of you by putting a lot into you.

I went to a sort of teamwork camp last weekend with two students and their families.  There was a ropes course, a climbing wall, and other such activities.  Very enjoyable.  Afterwords we went to a restaurant owned by one of the parents.  I also discovered that philosophy major jokes transcend cultural boundaries.  When I responded to a query about my college major, the host said "Oh, I was also studied philosophy at university.  Now I'm a cook!"  Everybody had a good laugh over that.

I realize I haven't said much about my Chinese friends. The English department Michelle and I are in are incredibly friendly.  We go out socially with them maybe every other week.  The one I know best is my Chinese tutor, English name Sesame, Chinese name Wang Shu Xiang.  He and I met once or twice a week for evening lessons.  We either go over vocab which he has selected, or we just talk in Chinese.  Sometimes his 3 year old son is running around the room.  He calls me shufu (uncle). 

I have a plan for winter break.  Max, Todd and I will go up north to the very tip of China, right below Siberia.  There is a winter festival up there with ice sculptures.  Along the way we'll see the Shaolin temple, Bejing (stay for a few days), and some other stuff.  Then maybe curve over to inner Mongolia, down through Xian Yang, and back to Hunan.

I will celebrate Thanksgiving this year by going to KFC.  There are apperently like only 3 turkeys in all of China, all imported.  My addiction to online newspapers is growing.  I now read both the New York Times and Washington Post.  I don't know how regular peopel have the time to keep up with the news.  I have a copy of my address in Chinese, which greatly increases mail speed.  Email me if you want a copy (sebastian_ellefson@yahoo.com)
 
-the Wandering Norseman-

No comments: