Monday, May 28, 2007

WORK AS A LAWYER
This week has been all about work. I get up at a quarter to eight, and make it to work dressed by nine (I bike to work so I have to change into my snazzy suits there.) I shaved everyday this week. I don't think I've ever done that before.

Work is intense and awesome. I love it, for real. For example, my first assignment my boss comes up to me and says "Sebastian, here's the case. Read it over. (it was about a kid who got caught with a gun and drugs) Research how we can get our client out of juvie and back with his parents. And the disposition hearing is tomorrow so I need that by the end of the day."
END OF THE DAY? This is the sort of thing we spent a month and a half doing for our legal writing class back in first year of law school. I was feeling the pressure all day. But when I handed him my memo at 4:45, he read it over and said "nice work"
Pretty much every day has been like that, but less intense. I have a case file, I have to research and write up a memo for the presiding judge that day. There is never a dull moment. But best of all, I think I am doing well.

Then I get home, make dinner, and then go out to a coffee shop to study for my Swedish class "Law and Psychology" final which is next week. (see, I left Sweden a teed bit early to start this job). Lame. But that'll all be over next week.

Memorial day weekend? Spent studying, mostly

AREANA FOOTBALL
One exception- I did make it out to an areana football game on Saturday. of the Alaska Wild. The game itself was pretty exciting- we were ahead 52-50 in the final second (areana football is a much higher scoring game than its NFL counterpart) but the Katy Ruff Riders kicked a field goal to win. My question: Where the hell is Katy?

-The Wandering Norseman-

2 comments:

Girl Noir said...

Katy is a suburb of Houston - it's about 15 minutes away from Sugar Land, where I live.

Sebastian said...

Wow, seriously? I love knowing people from lots of places. Thanks for the info, Megan.