Wednesday, January 31, 2007



I thought I'd give some pics of the places I talk about. Up first, Värmlands Nation! This is the outside. The sign on the door is telling where new members can sign up (in the building 'round back).



This is the cafe. Through that door is the kitchen and bar. I often see people play Settlers of Catan where that person is sitting. On time I went up and asked to play, and they said sure. Turns out one of the girls playing is in charge of the kitchen. I asked about a job as a waiter and she said "yeah maybe sure!" I think that's good.



This is the library. You can see my stuff where I am studying. This is where me, Gooch, the Brain, and Maverick do a lot of our scheming on how to get those preppy Stockholms Nation kids.

Life at Ekeby is going well. There is a solid group of 4 or 5 who play chess. My ability goes up and down. Just today I lost to someone who didn't know the rules for castling, but then beat Cat who is the recognized house champion. Go figure. I also successfully introduced Stratego, and people seem to be catching on.

Today we had two lectures, one on Muslum law and another which was a walking tour of the cathedral while we learned the history of Sweden. Both pretty sweet. I feel sometimes I'm, I don't know, weak willed or something, because whenever anybody talks about something interesting I think "oh man that's sweet, I should be studying/doing that!"

I got to the end of my Ukulele song book today. I final song is "Aloha Oe", which is a great last song for many reasons. It's a good song that people know, was originally written for the Uke, is in a tricky key (A flat), AND has a cool/sad history. The song was written by Queen Liliuokalani, the last queen of the Hawaiians, while she was imprisoned by the US when they were helping "liberate" the islands. Isn't that sad?

Son of a gun, time to go. Rememeber, everybody loves comments!

-The Wandering Norseman-

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, settlers and how you took over so many aspects of my life once I came to the U of C..

The pictures are lovely! You should definitely post more pictures of the area. All of the snow we have here goes between falling during the night and starting to melt during the day.

Hope all is well! Stay safe!

Much love,
Study Girl

Anonymous said...

I know the song Aloha Oe. Its the last song on the Lilo and Stitch Haiwaiian Favorites. Its sung by Tia Carerra and its really nice. I have it on my ipod. Do you sing along with it?

- sarah