Friday, January 07, 2005

I'm warm again.  I bought a space heater and the school cut a deal with the city for more power (or something.  It all seems a little under the table.  But them again everything's under the table in China).  So now I have power all day long, its wonderful.

I was contacted by the University of Chicago admissions department to interview a kid in China, which I think is awesome.  I'm looking to meet up with him some point during my break.  Speaking of, I present to you the things I want do on my vacation list.

-buy a fuzzy Russian hat in Harbin (which has a strong Russian influence, should be very interesting to visit).

-fly a kite in Tianimin Square at night

-ride a horse in Inner Mongolia, possibly while shooting at a target with a bow and arrow

-start getting presents for people back home

-maintain my daily addiction to the New York Times online crossword puzzle

-finally solve a puzzle without help from the internet (I've gotten really close!)

-eat an animal I never have eaten before

 Tonight we're throwing a going away party for Amee, as she's going back home after break.  Its sad too because I'm just getting to know her (a common complaint, I know).  I went up to Juifang and she and I went to this little game area in the park.  She taught me how to play go, and we talked.  Amoung other things I found out why she's so into political activism, how it is as an undergrad at Harvard, and that Natalie Portman is much smaller in person.

Random Observations-

The biggest stars in China are all from Hong Kong, Taiwan, or South Korea.  Perhaps because of this, the Chinese I have talked to think all South Koreans are very beautiful.

-The Wandering Norseman-

No comments: