So much to say. First, Christmas. I would say all in all it was a pretty holly jolly Christmas. I was kept busy, saw lots of people, and got lots of presents.
Throughout the whole week I had activities to go to. On Wednesday Nanfang Middle (different than Foreign Language Experimental, I teach at both and both are in the same compound of "Nanfang") had a English karaoke contest that I had to help judge. Thursday I went to a 'party' at a local college, which just turned out to be the college's Christmas pageant. Chinese don't seem to be familiar with the word pageant. All in all it was cold (see below) and went on too long. However it was interesting to see more into the Chinese's scued view of Christmas. I watched this one play about Snow White (again). This one had the dwarfs but they were all dressed like Santa. I also saw a few takes on Little Red Riding Hood and more scenes from the Sound of Music. On Friday (Christmas Eve) Foreign Language Experimental had its Christmas pageant. Its was so good, I kinda cringe to think of all the time and money that went in! to this. The costumes were all very shiny and high quality. They had falling snow, elaborate lighting ,smoke machines, martial arts demonstrations! All the students where very cute and nervous.
Afterwords Daphne and Freya (our liaisons) took Michelle and I out to dinner at a fancy Western restaurant. Then I went home and read Plato's 'Greater Hippias'. watched 'To Catch a Thief', and opened my presents. Merry Christmas.
The following morning I was awoken by a call from my family, which was very welcome (although I do apologize for being sleepy. I couldn't really rouse myself because I knew right after I hung up I would go right back to bed.) It was very AT&T holiday commercial, in a good way. That night I went to the city government Christmas party, and man was it posh. They gave out free broaches and silk handkerchiefs, the dinner was a 5 course Western meal, and they had free cocktails!
My presents, more than ever, made me feel good because of the thought behind them. For my family I knew it took extra effort to shop the stuff over to me, and for the Chinese it was extra nice because they don't even celebrate it themselves. So much for Christmas.
Item 2: Its very, very cold here. Although the daily temp is around 30 degrees F, I've never been so cold. I'll tell you why- THERE'S NO HEATING. None of the buildings have central heat, all are heated by space heaters, little electric units which suck (this, unfortunately, includes my apartment). Secondly, the power is shut off everyday from 9-5 due to the energy crisis. Thus, even those little heaters do no good because there is no power. The worst is in the morning. I wake up and my apartment is freezing. It takes superhuman willpower to leave my blanketed cocoon of warmth. It finally snowed here, but before then there was days of sleet. I had many evil thoughts during this time. As this is a rather recent occurrence, I trust it will be better when I come back from my vacation in mid-February.
I've been asked, so I'll assuage any fears and say the tsunami did not effect my location at all. But Michelle is going to Thailand over break, and who knows what that'll be like. The world is a capricious place.
I plan on going to Changsha for a New Year's party. My chili cooking turned out EXCELLENT, and I'm still munching on the leftovers (had some Christmas day). Other than that I'm cold, but kept happy by the prospects of my vacation which starts at the end of the week.
Wish me warm thoughts,
-The Frigid Norseman-
PS- for those of you who think I'm complaining to much about the cold and bring shame upon both my Minnesotan and Scandinavian heritage, I say *ttthhhhwwwpppp*
No comments:
Post a Comment