Now that the wonder of living in a new country has more or less worn off, we have to create our own excitment. Another Worldteach volunteer hosted a big party in Changsha last weekend. I think many of the Chinese there had never seen something quite like an wild American party (and it did get pretty wild). So many people were there. All of Worldteach China save 3 people (that's 24), and everybody seemed to invite at least one other person. I invited this girl I met while on vacation in Yangshou. She's teaching at a college in Changsha and doesn't know many other Americans. She was very fun to talk to but unfortunately has a Chinese boyfriend. Ain't that the way. Then at midnight we all went out to a dance club. As I've said before, its a lot easier dancing in China. Not quite sure why- less people I perceive as judging me, I guess.
Not to be outdone, we Zzers will host a party this weekend. I may have many people sleeping on my floor Saturday night.
Michelle and I cooked an American meal for our department. I made BLTs, and Michelle made Cheeseburgers. They went over very well. In fact, it was the salad (which was thrown in as an afterthought) which created the most controversy. They just couldn't understand why we would eat raw vegetables. Victor and Sesame, the two male teachers, tried a bit and made the most distguted face. It was hilarious.
For those who don't know me so well I am particular about my fashion. I hate being told I have to wear something, especially if I feel it is without good reason. As a teacher I dress very nice (shirt and dress pants) everyday, and I don't even think about it anymore. What's more, I sometimes where the same clothes out about town, when I have a perfectly good opprotunity to change before I go out. This isn't pure sloth- I kinda like the clothes, tucked in shirt and all. What a world.
Random Observations-
The Chinese are honest about many things that Americans avoid, and vise-versa. For example, the Chinese are very open about age, weight, salary, and asking about personal information very unabashedly. But when it comes to matters of 'face', such as criticism of job performance, they are horrible. Now we try to be cautious in America, but we take and give constructive criticism. Not so here. Otherwise both people would lose face.
-TWN-
No comments:
Post a Comment