The path stopped abruptly and I had to scamble over the unkept bramble, trying to cause as little desecration as possible. More graves, some with pictures of men next to open picture slots which their wives pictures would soon fill. I came to the top and confirmed I was indeed on the other side of the school's hill, but now it was quite dark, and I wasn't sure of the way back. Being lost at night in a Chinese city may be the premise for whacky hijinks, but being lost at night in a Chinese graveyard is the premise for something entirely different.
Keeping my cool, I stumbled around, found my bike, and high-tailed it.
The whole Worldteach crew is going to take a trip to Shanghai in mid-November. We'll be attending a foreign teachers workshop, so travel and hotel fare will be covered. This pleases me, as I most likely wouldn't have gotten a chance to see Shanghai otherwise. I have three vacations left, a month in January, a week in May, and a few weeks in the summer (depending on when I return). Don't know where to go yet. Thininking Beijing, inner Mongolia, that area next to North Korea, and maybe the western provences.
I'm teaching the other Zz teachers bridge. Its slow going, because other games are easier and therefore more fun in the short term. But brigde is so enjoyable in the long term that I keep plugging away. We also play Ma Jung, which is fun.
Random Observations-
Chinese work fast. Construction projects go on day and night, and are up before your eyes. Alread a pile of bricks has transformed into a new wall right outside the school. There is no homophobia here, men hold hands with men and (espessially) women hold hands with women all the time. I'm not sure, but I think the whole country is in deniel that gays exist in their country. I talked to a foreign teacher at a university, and she has a student who is openly gay with all the foreigners, but not the Chinese.
Here are some Haikus I wrote about my experiences in China (in need of a creative outlet? Me?)
So long a learner
I must feign understanding
Facing young faces
Why is it often
Old empires of magistey
Now wallow in dirt
Insolation, friend,
can be spelled two other ways-
ingnorence and end
Known as Wai Guo Ren
Each step met with a hello
Fame is quite noisy
-the Wandering Norseman-
No comments:
Post a Comment