Karaoke! The second part of a large gathering of Chinese people is of course Karaoke. I've been to two 5 hour sessions in the last week. Brother can these Chinese sing. There selection of English songs is limited and in some cases, baffling. They had many songs were I thought I knew it (500 miles, End of the World) and it was something totally different. Also, many were covers by Chinese bands that really changed the tempo. Chinese cover of American Pie- very strange. But I sang a pretty darn good "When a man loves a woman" and all the Chinese clapped.
I went for a walk by myself downtown and got lost (on purpose). Quite entertaining. No matter how poor or seedy a neighborhood is, I always feel safe because there are people everywhere, and commerce is so intergrated into residence (people's stores are their houses). Their are always kids around, families around. I wasa walking and found myself in a cluster of brothels (you can tell by the pink lights and the ladies inside) and right in the midst of them was an arcade!
I got hired to say the English words for a factory filmstrip. My school hooked me up. I think its going to be one of those "what happens in a facotry?" filmstrips they show elementary school students. We'll see how that goes.
Random Observations- Chinese love games. If you walk around during any of the peak hours (after lunch, after dinner until way into the eveing) they are always out playing Majang, cards, or Chinese Chess. Also, there are people everywhere all the time. I swear you go into any street from 4 AM - 2 AM, and they'll be people their buying and selling vegetables or cooking on an open grill. Similarly, when you go to a resturant or something, there are always two or three superflous waiters just wanging around.
-the Wandering Norseman-
No comments:
Post a Comment