The first week of teaching has left my throat soar and my mind full of amusing images. I still cannot get over the irony of seeing a class full of 55 sutdents repeat in unison rule one, "Only one person talks at a time."
My days are very full, but its a diverse set of activites. Besides teaching and planning lessons, I have started Chinese lessons, go out with the other English teachers at the school ('we like to play together', the head of the department told me), meet with the other Zz volunteers, and continue to explore on my own.
Last weekend we six volunteers meet for drinks and then went out exploring. We found this backward little pool hall, you know the kind where all the tables are slanted and the cues and warped. We played for control of the city (our schools represent the north, middle and south), and in the end, Nanfang, southside, triumphed.
As for exploring on my own. I found a book store bizzar. I wandered arround looking for books in English until I finally accepted there were none. I did, however, by some flashcard meant for children learning English. They work perfectly, having Chinese charators, pinyin, and English. I also found a place to by cheap DVDs here in Zhuzhou. Amoung my purchases were Alien V Preditor and Freddy V Jason.
Lastly, my free time is now being taken up by filling out applications to law school. Yes, for those of you who didn't know I am for sure going to go, hopefully next year. Careers in the legal aspect of legislation or in the judiciary greatly interest me, and my dad says I would have fun being a trail lawyer (we'll see). Now all I have to do is apply, which is turning out to be quite a task. It seems that something is keeping me out of the LSAC (law school admitions councle) applications page. If it cannot be remidied, I'll have to have my parents proxy for me. I'm looking to apply to Yale, Harvard, Stanford, and the University of Minnesota.
Random observations- in my studing of Chinese, I have discovered that the middle part of my name, Xiang, also means the verb 'think'. (same tone, and only a slight variation on the charactor, for you Chinese speakers). So my name could mean somehting along the lines of 'yellow northern wiseman'. Also, my surname, Huang, I have found out is the name of a famous emperor. Pretty friggin' cool.
-the Wandering Norseman-
No comments:
Post a Comment