Tuesday, July 05, 2005

For those of you hoping my year in China would end with a whimper, no such luck.

First, I went to Zhang Jia Jie as planned and hit the rappids. The whole park was wonderful. We ate in the village, went to the caves, and went hiking on a trail where we saw wild monkeys! They walked right up to us; I could have touched one if I wasn't scared of the number of diseases they carry.

Straight from there I took a 7 hour train to the end-of-the-year conference in Changsha. It was great seeing everybody and saying goodbye. They were really a great bunch. To end the night of course we had a party, which ended going dancing at a club. But just before we entered the club we saw this guy kicking the crap out of this girl. Well we all were stunned. What are you supposed to do in that situation? Do you get involved and try to stop it, do you steer clear? We didn't know how many people were involved, what the situation was. But then the guy picked up a brick and my friend Adrian ran in to protect the girl. She got knocked on the head and starts bleeding, so I rush in and try to stop him and I get punched (smooth, Sebastian). But I get in the swing when he tries to kick me and I grab his foot. He twists away and I have his shoe. I pop up mad as hell but by this point everybody rushes in and stops everything. Michelle is asking if I'm ok and I say yea I'm fine. She says "You got hit by a brick" which is news to me, I thought he only punched me. I start to freak out a little and ask if I'm bleeding but I am not. We take Adrian and the girl to the hospital. Adrian has to get three stiches. The whole visit was pretty quick which is a surprise and delight. I go home and sleep. And today besides a few bumps and bruses I'm no worse for wear.

Too bad just as things get exciting I have to leave. I get back in the states on Thursday, and my wanderings will temporarily come to an end.

It's been quite a year.

-The Wandering Norseman-

No comments: